10 August, 2021

My New Ironing Board Cover

My ironing board cover was getting very shabby. 
You may have seen it when I've taken photos of my sewing.
I went looking through my stash for a piece 
large enough and decided on this. 
I've had this fabric since 1993 when I made my very first quilt. 
I had it on the front and as the backing.
I'm so happy with how it turned out. 
I've been waiting to use this fabric and 
decided this was the perfect project.
 In case you're wondering, this is my first quilt "Intriguing Illusions". 
It is machine pieced and hand quilted. 
I didn't know about sending quilts off to be quilted back then. 
If I had, that's what I would have done. This was a huge quilt and 
for first time quilting, it took me a long time!

It was an overnight mystery quilt. You were supposed to 
know how to piece to attend. My aunt gave me a crash course 
and I made myself a bag. So that's all the experience I had. 
We were given fabric requirements prior. Then as we 
completed each step, we were given the 
next set of instructions. We went from 6pm until 6am. 
It took me an extra 6 hours at home to finish it 
but considering I was really in experienced, 
I think I did really well!
 

9 comments:

ButterZ said...

It’s a good memory though to have hand quilted it. Wonderful quilt.

Kim said...

Your very first quilt is lovely! Such wonderful memories swirl around this pretty. I would think the hand quilting gives it a lovely texture. Love the new ironing board cover, too.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Your ironing board cover looks great and love your first quilt. What a great memory you have attached to this quilt as well. I think you did a fabulous job on your 1st quilt.

Julie said...

Your new ironing board cover looks great Christine - I love making myself a new cover & probably do it once a year. It makes ironing so much more pleasurable & I think our covers get a hard time when we craft so much.

Christine B said...

Love the new ironing board cover Christine and your first quilt is amazing! I would never have been brave enough to take on such a big quilt for my first project! Have a lovely week! Christine xx

Maria said...

You did a fabulous job on your first quilt….
Great to have enough of the fabric left to now make an ironing board cover…
I found my cover always wore out in one patch were I ironed many small pieces so I made a small ironing mat.
Saves me making many covers…..

Lin said...

What a great finish your first quilt was. Always nice to have an new ironing board cover. xx

Helen said...

Clever lady the ironing board cover looks great.

Karen S said...

Great way to use your special fabric. Looks great.