16 December, 2021

Lillian Elizabeth's Kitchen

  
"Lillian Elizabeth's Kitchen"
in memory of my grandmother.
 
The pattern was by Jennifer Reynolds
Jennifer's was Phyllis May's Kitchen in memory of 
her grandmother. You can read about her here
Jennifer made a memory book but I wanted to make a quilt.
 

This is Lillian Elizabeth Meikle, my grandmother. 
To me she was "Nanny". I spent a lot of time with her. 
When I was about 5 years old, we lived with her for a while 
when we moved from the country up to Melbourne. 
I am the eldest grand daughter so I must have been the favourite! 
Wink, wink! LOL! Her maiden name was McDonald 
and then I became a MacDonald. This block was my design.
It was this block that I fell in love with. I just love aprons.

  I used the left over scraps from my double wedding ring quilt. 
The blue fabric was the backing of the quilt. I'm not a blue person 
at all but the blue just worked so well.
The doilies belonged to Nanny.
I hand quilted around the blocks in perle thread.
 
I really loved the journey making this quilt and
just love how it turned out.
Once Christmas is over and I've put all the Christmas quilts away, 
it will have pride of place in the kitchen.

7 comments:

Julie said...

Its absolutely beautiful Christine & a wonderful tribute to your Nanny. I have enjoyed watching you bring this to life & it always inspires me to pull mine out & work on it. xx 💙💙

Maria said...

A beautiful way to remember your “Nanny” by stitching this gorgeous special quilt.
I love the blue but then it is one of my favourite colours …

Lin said...

It's beautiful Christine - I love your interpretation of Jennifer's blocks and it will give you lots of happy memories. xx

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Such a beautiful memory quilt and a great tribute to your Nanny.

Christine B said...

Such a beautiful quilt Christine with such poignant memories. Have a lovely weekend! Hugs Christine xxx

Chookyblue...... said...

Pulling your special memories together....... It's such a pretty quilt

Jindi's Cottage said...

Just beautiful Christine...the quilt and the memories and how lovely to have snippets of your Nanny's doilies in "her" quilt...