28 March, 2022

I Just Had To Have It!

No, not Ralph, Austin and Paris' puppy. 
Although he is gorgeous! 
You all needed some puppy spam, didn't you!
It was this beautiful vintage doily. 
Marina from Maisie and The Boys recently shared a doily
 she bought off ebay (you can see it here). 
Hers has a Scotty dog on it. 
So I had a look and came across this one.
I just love it.
 It's not often that I will just buy something because I love it. 
But I just HAD to have it! 
It has been well looked after. The back is so neat. 
I haven't been doing a lot of stitching lately. 
What I have been doing is making myself a dress! 
 I haven't made a dress with a zip in over 40 years. 
 
I learnt to sew at school and then did proper dressmaking 
classes at night when I was about 16 (I think). 
I didn't really enjoy making clothes until I had the boys. 
I made them windcheaters, tracksuit pants, shorts and tops. 
I loved sewing for the boys and there were no zips! 
 
I'm still not convinced I like dressmaking. 
There's a lot to be said about going to a shop,
 trying on a lovely dress and buying it! LOL!
I'll show it to you once it's finished.

12 comments:

kiwikid said...

Great purchase for you Christine! Lovely to see Ralph, he is super cute. Your dress is looking good, your lessons are well remembered. I did a lot of the same sewing when the boys were young.

loulee said...

I hear you. I loved making dresses for my daughter, but making stuff for me was just a chore. Much more fun to go and purchase something.

Maria said...

Ohhhh!! Ralph is just so cute and cuddley….
Beautiful vintage doily you picked up and so nicely finished.
Good on you making yourself a dress , look forward to it finished and modelled
I have a pretty hanger it’s on in blue! 👍.

Christine B said...

Love your vintage doily Christine and I am looking forward to seeing your finished dress. Hugs Christine xx

Sharm said...

Have you been watching the British Sewing Bee?? Cause I have and I'm almost (yes, almost) inspired to sew some clothes as well but like you its been many many moons since I last made any clothing and zips were not something I did many (if any) of. I didn't do the classes you did and no classes at school it was a teach myself plus a short course that showed you how to sew windcheater fabric (close to 40 odd years ago lol). Looks like your dress is going quite well!!! Pretty doily - where are you putting it I wonder?? Ralph is just way toooo cute!!!

Cheryll said...

Ooohhh what a wonderful find...love it when you're thrilled with a purchase.
Great work on your dress too. Better go out to morning tea somewhere & show it off... xox

Helen said...

That is a very sweet doily.... gosh I haven't made dresses for many years either.... good luck, looking good sp far....

Karen S said...

I know that I haven't made a dress in years. Great to see you jumping in. Lovely fabric.

Chookyblue...... said...

Goodluck with the dress making....

marina said...

Ralph is such a cutie, love your doily.
I really admire the work that was put into them. So sad that they are not loved, at least you and I are doing our best to share the love.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

I don't blame you, Christine. That is one lovely doily of course I have a doily obsession myself. Lol. Wishing the best in making your dress. Have a great weekend.

Julie said...

Gosh that puppy is adorable Christine!! And so is your new doiley - I think I would've bought that too!! Good on you for making the dress - I used to love dressmaking but haven't done it for years either. xx